Century 21 Poirier Real Estate | The Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship
Today, it is more important than ever to identify and encourage the future leaders of tomorrow. Are you, or do you know a high school student who has shown exemplary community leadership? If so, Century 21 Poirier Real Estate rewards these exceptional students each year with the Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship. As part of the family business mission of giving back to the community, Century 21 Poirier gives a $1,000 annual scholarship in St. Paul and a $500 annual scholarship in Bonnyville.
But, if you are ready for even more opportunity, check out the ALIS website for a full listing of available scholarships!
What it is the Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship?
The Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship that rewards one student in St. Paul and one student in Bonnyville who has shown strong leadership characteristics. The scholarships are awarded annually. Any Alberta student who is graduating high school in either community is welcome to apply. Applying for the Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship is one of the first steps in a student’s post-secondary education.
Who is eligible for this Alberta, CA high school scholarship?
If you are a graduating high school senior in St. Paul or Bonnyville, you are eligible to apply. This includes students attending St. Paul Regional High School, Ecole du Sommet, Bonnyville Centralized High School, and Ecole Notre Dame.
To be considered for the Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship, students must demonstrate leadership in their school and community, as well as academic achievement. Students also must conform to the following criteria:
- Education – Applicants must have received, or be eligible to receive, a valid diploma from an Alberta high school.
- Eligible Institutions – We recognize any post-secondary school in Canada. Accredited and/or recognized vocational schools are accepted for apprenticeship programs.
In addition to the application, each submission must be accompanied by the following.
- Statement of Marks – Applicants must submit a transcript of their high school records, as well as a copy of any apprenticeship reports.
- Enrollment Confirmation – Applicants must provide proof of enrollment in full time, post-secondary study.
- One-Minute Video – Each student must submit a one minute video of themselves speaking. In the video, they should describe their future dreams, and how they hope to make an impact on their local community in the future.
- Letter of Recommendation – Applicants must submit a letter of recommendation written by someone who is not a family member. These could include a principal, teacher, employer, manager, volunteer supervisor, or any other member of the community, as long as they are not related to the applicant.
- Release Agreement – A release agreement must accompany the application which states the applicant agrees to have their photos and videos published on media channels utilized by Century 21 Poirier Real Estate.
The Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship was created to reward students who demonstrate excellent community leadership. High school seniors who are leaders at their school, workplace, church, volunteer group, or any other area of the community are encouraged to apply. Some leadership characteristics the selection committee will look for in the applicants include honesty, integrity, confidence, commitment, passion, communication skills, decision-making ability, accountability, creativity, and innovation.
How to submit your application
If you or a student you know are interested in applying, more information and applications are available at your current St. Paul/Bonnyville high school. To print the application for the $1000 Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship, available to students attending St. Paul Regional High School and Ecole du Sommet, click here.
The application deadline is May 31st, and students must have received, or be eligible to receive, their high school diploma the same year as the application. There are two ways to submit your application.
- Drop it off in person at our offices, located at 101-4341 50 Avenue, St. Paul, AB T0A 3A3; or at 5110 54 Ave, Bonnyville, Alberta T9N 2H6.
- Submit the application with all attachments via email to [email protected]
Once submitted, the documents become the property of Century 21 Poirier and will not be returned.
Best of luck on your application!
Century 21 Poirier is all about community.
Our family-owned real estate company has been in business for three generations. Century 21 Poirier Real Estate has friendly, experienced agents who will help you with all of your real estate transactions, whether you’re a seasoned investor or a first time home buyer. For over 30 years Century 21 Poirier served the Lakeland region in Alberta with honesty, integrity and dedication. We are also active in donating to community organizations, fundraising, and volunteering. Our real estate business is dedicated to putting our heart into the community.
Community Education Program
In addition to offering the yearly Mary Poirier Young Leader Scholarship, we have developed our Community Education Program — a unique and informative presentation developed specifically for high school students. It helps them learn valuable life skills about financing, mortgages, and investing in their own home.
Poirier Community Funding Program
Century 21 Poirier has also created the Poirier Community Funding Program to help our clients give back to our community. 1% of our listing commissions go to a local non-profit of the sellers choice, giving them the opportunity to make a real impact on the causes they care about.
Community Investment Initiatives
Since 1967 our family business has made our community investment initiatives a top priority. We’ve donated over $300,000 to community organizations and charities, and we’ve helped raise over a million dollars through our intense involvement in volunteering! We are of the belief that an investment in the community is the best investment you can make.
The leaders of tomorrow are the students of today! If you have any further questions about applying for the Mary Poirier Young Leaders Scholarship, contact a Century 21 Poirier Real Estate office directly. Call St. Paul at 780-645-4535, or Bonnyville at 780-687-2055. Together, we’re building a community.
"This scholarship helps our youth achieve their educational dreams and we are incredibly proud to offer this to our youth."
Darryl Poirier first joined the real estate with A&M Realty, the company owned by his father—and quickly grew to love meeting new clients and giving top-shelf service. Since that time he’s been active in real estate for 43 years. With CENTURY 21 he consistently wins sales awards, and has ranked as high as #22 in all of Canada.
- October 1, 2018